SHORTS COMPETITION 2018
The APFF International Short Film Competition is inviting film students and independent filmmakers, who want to present their creative work in front of the Austin audience at the 13th Austin Polish Film Festival. Accepted films will be shown in a special Shorts segment. A panel of judges from the film industry, academia, and media will choose the winners.
We are looking forward to showcasing interesting works in Austin – a city with vibrant, creative culture and film lovers.
Submit your film and get noticed!
The submission deadline is September 15, 2018.
Work submitted after the deadline will not be entered into the competition.
Rules and Requirements for Submission
- September 15, 2018, 11:59 PM CDT.
- Film students, independent filmmakers.
- No submission fees.
- All shipping and insurance costs will be incurred by the sender.
Prizes, Awards, and Recognition:
- Best short non-animated film prize - $300.
- Best short animation prize - $300.
- Official recognition awards granted by the Jury and the audience.
- Featuring the best works on the APFF website and APFF Blog.
- Special interviews with the creators of the best projects.
- Up to 10 minutes with credits.
- Narrative, documentary, animation, experimental.
- We are accepting films whose either content, creators, production credits, or inspiration have a connection to Poland or Polish culture. For example:
- a Polish (or Polish-American) director, lead actor or actress, cinematographer, screenwriter, or editor;
- the film is in Polish, filmed in Poland, about or inspired by Poland or Polish culture, art, etc.
- Film (maximum file size 10GB).
- Press kit: synopsis, bios, 10 still frames from the film in the resolution 1920x1080px or higher.
- Accepted file formats (containers): .mp4 or .mov
- Recommended codecs: Apple ProRes or H.264 (preferred high bitrate, minimum 2MBit/s and Uncompressed)
- Resolution: 1920x1080px
- 24fps or 23.976fps
- AAC (recommended, > 160 kBit/s)
- 48kHz sound PCM (only uncompressed)
- MP3 (not recommended)
- Each film has to be uploaded as: online streaming (YouTube or Vimeo preferred) and direct download (<10GB).
- All direct download files and online streaming links must contain the full film, including credits and subtitles embed in the film.
- All direct download files and online streaming links must be available until the beginning of the festival.
- If the links or the files are password protected, the passwords need to be provided.
- If you are unable to meet any of the above requirements, need an assistance or have any questions, please contact with us and explain.
Language and Subtitles:
- If the original version is in a language other than English, the film must be subtitled in English.
- The subtitles should be: properly translated and synchronized, using a standard sans-serif font, embed into the film.
- White color of the font if possible.
- Excerpts from films may be shown for promotional purposes, if permission is obtained from the producer.
- Person submitting the film is responsible for any legal repercussions, caused by unlawful or improper use of any copyrighted materials.
- Submission of a film represents agreement with the regulations set forth here.
- The APFF committee reserves the right to determine, which works are granted entry into the APFF International Short Film Competition.
- Materials received after the submission deadline (September 30, 2017, 11:59 PM CTD) will not be accepted.